Cumberland, KY. Presbyterian Ch. 1832-54

PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH IN CUMBERLAND CO, KY.

David Rice was the Presbyterian pioneer of Kentucky. In 1783-4 he visited Kentucky. A petition to Hanover, Va., resulted in the establishment of the Transylvania Presbytery, 1786, in Kentucky. Many presbyteries followed this one to Kentucky. The one in Logan Co, is the one that touched the lives of the people in Cumberland County. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church began in 1802 at the Synod at Lexington,Ky. The uninterrupted beginning of the Presbyterian Church in Cumberland, seems to have started in July 1830, when Rev. Caleb WEEDEN, a pastor from Glasgow, Ky, came to Marrowbone, accompanied by Joshua BARTON, preached a few sermons that seemed to be "attended by divine favor."

On July 26th, members united under the following resolution, to which they subscribed their names.

"We, whose names are hereto written, being desirous of the prosperity of religion in our neighborhood and in order to organize ourselves into a better form, and to secure a minister, hereby form ourselves into a society at the Marrowbone Meeting House, on Marrowbone, Cumberland County, Kentucky, within the bounds and under the care of Logan Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, signed, James Daughtery, Jacob Brown, James Haggard, Susan Bailey, Lucy Ann Pace, Clarissa Miller." More were added later.

April 3 1831, David Allen and James Richey were elected first elders.

May 7, T. B. Stockton, Dabney Alexander and Daniel Williams were elected and ordained by Caleb Weeden.

Members of the Lick Branch Cumberland Presbyterian Church-Ky.-1832

John DEENDrucilla MALONE
Jubal WILSONJackson CRAIG
John CRAIGAgnes T. DEAN
James A. DEANMartha GRAIG
William PEDIGOSally BENNETT
James GALLOWAYLouise O. NEWBERRY
Robert T. ANDERSONEster (colored woman)
Mahala SMITHAdam C. HAMILL
Polly DOUGHERTYGeorge MONDAY JR.
Ester F. GLASSSusan GLASS
Sally BYBEEBenjamin GLASS
Julia HUGESDorcas GILL
Robert HUGHSSally D. DOUGHERTY
William BYBEEPolly DOUGHERTY
Victoria SPEARSPolly GLASS
Mary MCGEEMilly GLASS
Patsy ABNERJames BROADY
Minerva BALDOCKGallatin DOUGHERTY
Don SPEARSJohn DEFRIES
R.D. BYBEEJames HUMPFREY
John SMITHElizabeth RENICK
Herman W.MARTINKitty MARTIN
Robert RENICKRebecca CRAWFORD
Joseph PAGEMatthew L. SMITH
Elizabeth BARRETTAdaline B.ANDERSON
Salina FRENCHLatimer RENICK
Sally BARRETTMimmy ARNOLD
James H. GASSAWAYMinerva BALDOCK
Mary CRAWFORDSusan BROADY
Polly DOUGHTERYMark DOUGHTERY
Milensa PURSLEYBen F. MAURY
Rachel WOODMelvin BROADY
James T. CRAWFORDRobert HAMMILL
John W. SPENCERKitty MARTIN
Drucilla SPENCERJames A. DEAN
Louisa V. NEWBERRYMilly PAYNE
Salima ANDERSONJANE(colored woman)
Winny ARNOLDJames UNPHREY
Chaney WALDROPMARY(colored woman)
William YOUNGRobert RENICK
Julia HUGHESSAUL? SPENCER
Robert HUGHESMary MCGEE
Elizabeth HAMMELLRobert D. BYBEE
Darcia GILLR.D. GASSAWAY
Thomas HUNLEYSarah DOUGHTERY
Sarah RENICKJames BROADY
Mary HUNLEYSarah CULLINS
Samuel RENICKPatsy ABNER
Isabella SPENCER
Will list as they follow, in book:
KITTY(black woman)Amanda WELLS
John WELLSJACK(colored man)
MARY(colored woman)Don SPEARS
Don SPEARSRobert RENICK
Leo SPEARSRobert DEAN
Polly SHERLOCKPaul SPENCER
David WALBERTSarah DOUGHERTY
R.D. GASSOWAYGarland S. LEMMONS
GLT SPENCERSarah COLLINS

Nov 6th 1832
A door was opened for the acceptence of members, Maryann GOODALL come forward and gave an acknowlegment relation of her conviction and was baptised the same day by the Rev. Caleb WEEDIN and went into the communion after church.

Dec 13th 1832
Hugh SMITH and Mary, his wife, Milsean PURSLEY formerly Milsean SMITH, James F. CRAWFORD and Mary CRAWFORD members of Mount Carmel Church, William SPENCER and Elizabeth his wife, and Rachel WOOD members at Glasgow made application for membership at Lick Branch and were received into the communion of the Church without letters of dismission from their former Church, their standing doings known to the Church to be good.

Barren County Jan 5th 1833
Robert F. ANDERSON and wife Adaline B. ANDERSON and Mary GOODALL wanted to remove from the church. They were dismissed in good standings.

Feb 19th 1833
Charity WILSON was legally married to William A. DEAN by the Rev Zacheus Quessenberry.

June 20th 1833
John Suiter made application and was received into the communion of the Church he being known as a member in good standing.

Members-Lick Branch Church of the Cumberland Presbyterian constituted by the Rev. Caleb WEEDIN on the 6th day of Nov 1832.

Mary CRAWFORDElizabeth CRAIG
Margaret CRAWFORDRebecca DEAN
Mary WILSONWilliam CRAIG
Rhoda D. PEDIGOElizabeth K.GALLOWAY
Pamela G. CRAIGCharity WILSON
Caroline SPENCER Durcilla DEAN
Maryann GOODALLHugh SMITH
William SPENCERElizabeth SPENCER
Milsend PURSLEYRachel WOOD
James F.CRAWFORDMary CRAWFORD
John SUITERJohn H. SPENCER
Elizabeth REYNOLDSMary B. BERRIE
Henry E. ARNOLDArchball WALDROP
Chaney WALDROPWilliam YOUNG
Thomas HUNLEYSamuel RENICK
Isabella RENICKArtemisa RENICK
Elizabeth HAMMILLLucy FRANKLIN
Eliza STRINGERSusan SPENCER
Victoria C. SPEARSMelvina SPENCER
John HAMMERILLRobert HAMMILL
John DEPPJoseph BENNETT
Gemima SHERLOCKAmerica WILSON

Contributed by: Donald Bowles, skyking@indy.net
By way of: Linne Gravestock, linne@mail2.quiknet.com


BACK

Created: 26 December 1998 | Updated: 19 March 2000
Webmaster and AfriGeneas Slave Data Collection Archivist: Valencia King Nelson, slavedata@afrigeneas.com
Copyright © 1999, 2000 by AfriGeneas.
May be used for any non-commercial purpose as long as this notice
and the name of the submitter remains on any copied material.