Surnames and Family Research Forum Archive
Which William Strange, Philadelphia & Pittsburgh?
Which “William Strange” in Philadelphia & Pittsburgh, PA?
Available census, city directory, draft registration & other vital records identify possibly related African American families in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh with roots in Virginia (research sources: Ancestry Library Edition & Heritage Quest). I am guessing that these families could be descended from Reuben Strange who was freed in Winchester, Frederick, VA in 1817. These are a few of several men with the name "William Strange" as I've attempted to sort them out. WWI draft registration forms scanned into Ancestry database were very helpful in this regard.
1. William J. Strange/Willie Jackson Strange, born circa 1871 in Carlisle, PA, a son of VA-born Richard Strange (wives Margaret & Jane). In 1900 William & his probable cousin Reuben Fitzhue/Fitzhugh Strange were incarcerated at Holmesburg Prison in Philadelphia. By 1910 William had moved to Chicago while his cousin Reuben, a son of VA-born Reuben & Josephine Strange, remained in Philadelphia.
2. William Strange, born in PA circa 1876, a son of William & Cassandra K. Strange of Harrison, Allegheny, PA. Father born in VA.
3. William Strange, born circa 1880 in VA, a son of Reuben Strange & Catherine Williams Strange who moved to Pittsburgh, PA from Greenway, Clarke, VA. William was employed as a chef in Pittsburgh. His wife was DC-born Cora Louisa Strange.
4. William L. Strange, born circa 1895 in PA, a son of VA-born Emanuel & Margaret Strange of Pittsburgh. According to some records, he was born in Chicago. William could have accompanied his older brother Emanuel & their probable relative William J. Strange (son of Richard & Jane or Margaret in Carlisle?) to Chicago, returning by 1920 to Pittsburgh where he lived with his OH-born wife Hazel.
5. William Strange, born circa 1895 in Morristown, PA (Morris, PA or Morristown, NJ?) of unknown parents. His wife Anna may be Christiana Lyons, NC-born daughter of Lawson Lyons. They lived together with their son Robert Strange in Philadelphia in 1930. In his 1917-18 draft registration, William claimed as dependents a wife & three children.