Surnames and Family Research Forum Archive
Sylvia & Nig DAVIS, Marshall, TX
I am desperate to find any signs of a Sylvia DAVIS or either of her children. She is a BIG missing piece from my Family Tree. Our Reunion is two months away and my book won't be complete without some sign of her and hers. All of the information I have is listed below:
1. Sylvia Davis is african american and lived in Marshall, Texas in the 1900's. A cousin tells me the area of Harrison County she lived in was known as the Red Oak neighborhood.
2. Sylvia had three children, Tilman Davis, Bill or William Davis and a daughter named Nig. I'm sure Nig is a nickname but, no one seems to know her given name.
3. Nig Davis was not married, I believe, as her three children are wearing their Mother's name.
4. Nig's children are: Pete, Jack and Sally Davis.
5. Sylvia Davis is supposed to be the half-sister of a Millie Norris Collier. Two family members believe she had the same mother as Millie but, not the same father.
Millie Norris' mother was Eliza Norris, born in 1838 South Carolina. Eliza is in the 1880 Census for Harrison County with four daughters: Mary, Dina, Susan & Millie only. No mention of a Susan. Also, when I see Eliza in the 1900 Census living with Mary Hall, her daughter, she is still wearing the surname of NORRIS so I doubt that Eliza remarried after the death of her husband, Buck Norris, somewhere between 1870 and 1880.
I had been told twice before that the Norris girls had a half sister named Sylvia but, when I found the family in the 1880 Census with a sister named Susan, I assumed they were one in the same and forgot about Susan. BUT, Sylvia's name keeps coming up from other family members so she must exist. I just cant find her and most don't believe that it may have been possible that Susan changed her name to Sylvia.
Desperate for any help at all.
Messages In This Thread