I am looking for the ancestors of Major Brame, born 1875 and his wife Estella Brown Brame who were born 1877 in Pontotoc County, MS and moved to Arkansas. Major had a sister named Betsy. Major had a brother named James A. Brame, born between 1873-1874 in Mississippi. There also was an Albert Brame who lived in Mississippi in the next household to Major and Estella. Albert Brame also moved to Arkansas.
I thought I had hit paydirt when I found a John (40)and Martha Brame (38) with a five year old son, Major C. and a 2 year old daughter, Betsy. However, the other family members (George, Austin, William, John, and Mattie) donít match the other Arkansas migrants names and I couldnít make a connection. John was born in Alabama. His father was born in Virginia and his mother was born in South Carolina
In 1900, I found a James Braham who lives with his cousin Will Mitchell and his wife Ella Mitchell. James was born in Mississippi. His father was born in Virginia and his mother was born in South Carolina. (Same as the John Mitchell in 1880 Pontotoc, Mississippi). . James is 27 years old and a widower. His son son, born in 1895, is not in the household. This James Braham works as a day laborer. I have no clue as to whether this is the same man who appears in Big Rock township in subsequent census records. They are however, about the same age.
Willís brothers Rich (age 15) and Charles (age 20) also are in the household. Will Mitchellís parents were born in South Carolina. Richard was born in Arkansas and his parents were born in North Carolina. Perhaps heís Ellaís brother because she, too, was born in North Carolina. Charley Mitchell was born in South Carolina and both his parents were born in South Carolina. This is confusing.
In 1910 James Brameís son John, age 15 is living with him and his wife Helen.. His widowed sister-in-law, Willie Duncan, age 23, is living with them. (She was bor in AR.;father in KY; Mother: MS). He owned a trucking company. They lived at 2319 Cross Street in Little Rock. Helen died in 1929
In 1920 his cousin Alonzo Brame was living with him. They lived at 2319 Cross Street, in Little Rock.ÔĀ∂ In 1930 his nephew Jerome Brame was living with him.. He owned a trucking company and is married to Henrietta Beckley Brame. They live at 2319 Cross Street. I know this much is true because they lived across the street from one of my cousins.
MAJOR BRAME was born July 1875 in Ponotoc County, Misissippi, and died July 01, 1933 in Arkansas. He married ESTELLA R. BROWN. She was born September 16, 1876 in Tupelo, Ponotoc County, Mississippi, and died November 16, 1957 in Morrilton, Conway County, Arkansas.
The 1900 census of Pontotoc County, Mississippi lists Major and Stella Brame in District 90, Beat 4, dated June 25, 1900 and recorded on sheet 24. The household is #554 and the family is #554. They are enumerated on lines 90-93 as follows:
Major Brame Head Age 24 Born July 1875 in Mississippi - Farmer
Stella Brame Wife Age 23 Born March 1877 in Mississippi Ė Housewife
Simon Brame Son Age 07 Born May 1899 in Mississippi
In the 1900 census of Pontotoc County, Missisippi, Houles Precinct, ED 89, Sheet 12,. Dated June 16, 1900 on lines 26 through 29, I found:
Major Brame, age 25, born May 1875 in MS Farmer. Both parents born in MS.
Stella Brown, Wife, born April 1877 in MS
Simon Brame, son, born March 1899
Albert Brame, brother, born March 1871 Ė a widower born in MS. His father was born in Virginia. His mother was born in South Carolina. So were they two places at once? The information is too close not to be the same family.
The 1910 census of Pulaski County, Arkansas lists Major and Estella Brame in District 134, Big Rock Township, dated April 22-23, 1910 and recorded on sheet 10B and 11A. They have been married 12 years. Estella is the mother of six children. Five of them are living. They are listed as mulattoes in 1910. The family is enumerated on lines 97-100 on sheet 10 B and on lines 1-4 on sheet 11A:
Major Brame, age 35
Estella Brame, age 33
Simon Brame, age 11
Mabel Brame, age 09
Major Brame JR. age 06
Albert Brame, age 04
Mary Brame, Age 01
The 1920 census of Conway County, lists the following Brame family members:
Major Brame Head Age 46 born in Mississippi (His father was born in SC) with the same family members
The 1930 Census lists the following Brame family members:
Major Brame Head Age 50 born in Mississippi (His parents both born in MS)
Estella Brame Wife Age 50 born in Mississippi
Major Son Age 20 born in Arkansas
Jeraldine Dau Age 19 born in Arkansas
Minnie H. Dau. Age 15 born in Arkansas (Where was she in 1920?) Herman Son Age 10 born in Arkansas
I found Major Brame in the Arkansas Death Records of 1914-1950. He died July 01, 1933 and he is listed in Faulkner County. This is probably because Pence did a lot of embalming and services for Morrilton. There was no black funeral home for a long time. I saw several Morrilton residents in the Pence indexes.
Pence Funeral Home in Conway have his name in their index of Volume III, , 1926-1945. This book can be purchased for $22.00 plus shipping from Arkansas Research, P.O. Box 303, Conway, Arkansas 72033. Additional material in the book lists death date, race, residence, cause of death, age, cemetery, and notes about who paid the bill. I also found Jacob Brame in this book.In the book of 1904-1926 I found Ana W. Brame and another Jacob Brame, as well as a James Thornton (not necessarily black).
Children of MAJOR BRAME and ESTELLA BROWN are:
1. SIMON3 BRAME, b. July 1899. Simon Brame was living in Little Rock, Arkansas September 12, 1918. He worked as a laborer for Pratt Engineering. and Machine Company. Estella and Major were still living in Ola in 1918. Simon registered for the World War I Draft in Little Rock. (Ancestry.com WWI Draft Records online 2005)
2. MABEL BRAME was born . March 10, 1901, Tupelo, Mississippi and died April 06, 1988, Russellville, Arkansas. MABEL BRAME THORNTON (was born March 10, 1901 in Tupelo, Mississippi, and died April 06, 1988 in Russellville, Arkansas. She married FRANK COLUMBUS THORNTON 1922 in Morrilton, Conway County, Arkansas. He was born in South Carolina, and died in Morrilton, Conway County, Arkansas. Children of MABEL BRAME and FRANK THORNTON are:
i. LEO FRANK4 THORNTON, b. March 04, 1923.
ii. CHARLES A. THORNTON, b. Abt. 1927.
iii. WILLIE BELLE THORNTON WALLACE, b. Sep. 20, 1929, Morrilton, AR; d. November 24, 2005, Albany, GA.
iv. GEORGE W. THORNTON, b. Abt. 1932.
v. JAMES ALBERT THORNTON, b. March 31, 1934.
NOTE: Mabel is Frank Thorntonís second wife. His first wife was Margaret Smith. Children were Julia Thornton Bowles, Carlina Thornton Strickland, and Mary Thornton Haywood.
3. MAJOR BRAME, b. May 27, 1903, Arkansas; d. September 1965. MAJOR BRAME was born May 27, 1903 in Arkansas, and died September 1965. He married LOUISE SMITH. She was born August 06, 1912 in Morrilton, Conway County, Arkansas.Children of MAJOR BRAME and LOUISE SMITH are:
4.. MAJOR BRAME JR., b. Abt. 1930.ii. CHARLES EDWARD BRAME, b. Abt. 1934, Morrilton, Conway County, Arkansas; d. December 23, 1989, Chicago, IL
5. ALBERT PETE BRAME, b. Abt. 1906, Arkansas; d. Denver, Colorado; m. ANNIS AUSTIN FULLER; b. Louisville, Mississippi; d. Denver, Colorado.
6. MARY LOU BRAME, b. July 15, 1909, Morrilton, Conway County, Arkansas; d. 1995, Morrilton, Conway County, Arkansas; m. UNKNOWN JOHNSON.
7. JERELENE BRAME, b. Abt. 1910, Morrilton, Conway County, Arkansas; d. August 25, 1993, Morrilton, Conway County, Arkansas.
8. JEROME BRAME, b. September 21, 1913; d. September 28, 1989, San Diego, California 92102; He married HURIE MAE MORRIS.
9. HULEN BRAME, b. Abt. 1914.
10. MINNIE HELEN BRAME, b. Abt. 1915, Morrilton, Conway County, Arkansas; m. ROY MITCHELL.
11. HERMAN BRAME was born May 21, 1918 in Morrilton, Conway County, Arkansas, and died 2004 in Portland, Oregon. He married EARNESTINE DORRIS. She was born in Morrilton,
If anyone has any information about Major Brame (1875 and Estella Brown Brame's (1877) ancestry please let me know.