Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: How Many Generations Out of Slavery

And here is my situation: I was born in 1952. My father was still in my grandmother's womb when my great grandfather, her father, Milton HOWARD/SMITH (b abt 1844) died in 1928. Milton Howard was born free in IA, was kidnapped, served as a slave from abt 1850-1860 in AL, escaped and before 1870 returned to IA. While Milton was not born a slave, he was a slave during his lifetime. Milton Howard is said to have had several children during the time he was enslaved, although it is unclear whether these were his children or his biological sister and brother. My great grandmother, Lena Smith, was Milton's 5th wife. Milton had children (from previous marriages) older than my great grandmother. New evidence has also been uncovered to suggest that Milton may have been born c1840, instead of 1844.

My mother's, (my mother was b 1832) great grandfather, Edward BLAND was born a slave in abt 1826 in Bedford Co, VA. He escaped slavery in 1850's, fled to Canada and returned to US to serve in USCT, eventually settling in IN. Edward died in abt 1916. It is likely my maternal grandmother, Leala, met Edward.

On my mother's side, my cousins have traced our line back to FPOC, 1600's in Norfolk, Va. Go to lost-creek.org. There is also a Lost Creek Settlement tree on Ancestry.com.

Messages In This Thread

How Many Generations Out of Slavery

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy