Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Winfields of Sussex & Surry

I'm trying to find the father of my ancestor Frank W. Winfield, born in 1862-1863 in Virginia. He lived in Sussex county for a time with his mother, Margaret Randall and his younger brother Hardy. They both were most likely born in Sussex. Randall seems to be their mother's surname, and both Frank and Hardy kept the Winfield name even after their mother married their step-father, Tom Canady. There is no indication Margaret was married before this. By the time she married, Margaret and her sons had moved to Surry county.

According to family lore, Frank and Hardy's father was white {possibly a slave owner}- they are even listed as mulatto on certain census records. Their father was born in Virginia. According to Hardy's marriage record, their father's name was George Winfield, but this is the only record I found that states this. Unfortunately, nothing else I could find on their father, like race or birth date so far.

I've seen many African Americans with the surname Winfield but all the black George Winfields in the area were too young to be their father- in fact, most of them were born after Frank and Hardy were born. However, I did find several white George Winfields in the same general area who were old enough. I'm just wondering if anyone has an ideas on my issue.

Any theories or help from anyone on the possible father of my ancestor would help. I know there's quite a few Winfields in the Sussex and Surry counties so let me know what any of you think. I would greatly appreciate it.

Messages In This Thread

Winfields of Sussex & Surry
Re: Winfields of Sussex & Surry
Re: Winfields of Sussex & Surry

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy