Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Contraband Camp Marriage Mystery

Interesting post Tim. I actually think I found A.N. Hudson in Virginia Freedmen's Bureau Record Group 105 being assigned to Fort Monroe in May 1864. Fort Monroe was under Union Control as soon as VA seceeded from the Union and stayed that way throughout the War, it was also home to the first and one the largest Contraband Camps. Although the Freedmen's Bureau didn't officially start until March 1865, there are a series of records in RG 105 which were generated prior to that date, by Union commanders and US Treasury agents. Virginia RG 105 can be found at Family Search and is indexed by name, so I put in A. N. Hudson and found an order assigning him and two others. I have no idea whether or not the marriages that he performed took place in this area, but there was an effort to perform marriages in this area. I have transcribed the images and will put a link.

DGS 4151355 (microfilm roll #114)
Fort Monroe (Dept of Negro Affairs 1863-1865)
Departments of Virginia and Virginia and North Carolina
Letters, Orders, and Telegrams Received by Lt. Col. J. B. Kinsman, General Supt.

Image #904
Copy
Order 148
Detailing Three Men to Report to
C. B. Wilder Capt

Image #905
Head Quarters Department VA & No Ca
Fort Monroe, May 29, 1864
Special Order 148
4. The following named enlisted men are hereby detailed for duty, and will report to Capt. C. B. Wilder, A.Q.M. & Supt Negro Affairs

Pri A. N. Hudson, Co. K. 1st NY M. Rifles

Corpl Jonas Gildersleeve Co. E. 1st NY M Rifles

Pri William Davis, Co. E. 16th N.Y. Artillery

By Command of Major Genl Butler
(signed) H. F. Schroeder
Lt. & aageneral

Copy

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12348-108541-76?cc=1596147&wc=6960959

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy