Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

The Special Gift

The last few weeks we have been cleaning out and going through my inlaws house in preparations of a future sale. We have found some surprising things. My mother in law must have gone to every funeral at our church. I found so many funeral programs. A whole of of them since I've been at our church. So, it was bitter sweet remembering the faces that I knew.

One thing that I found was a military dog tag. I initially thought it was my father in laws. I put it in the bag of "things to look at again when we get home." So, a couple of nights ago I decided to go through that bag. The name on the dog tag was not my father in law's but the name of my mother in law's first cousin. He had served in the army. He served his time and was discharged. Unfortunately he was murdered in 1974. He has a son whom is in the military now. He decided to reconnect with his father's side of the family. He was recently in VA for some type of military event and decided to come and visit us in MD. He saw his cousin (my mother in law) and he saw his great aunt (my huband's grandmother). He was so overjoyed to finally see and touch this part of his family. He was so happy to see us. The family had not seen him since he was about 7 years old or so. He also went to the cemetry to his father's grave site.

So, when I found the dog tag I was overjoyed that now we could pay it forward and give it to his son. So, this weekend I plan to mail the dog tag to his son as a surprise. He is going to be so happy. When he visited he said he really did not have anything of his dad's except a photo. This will be his Christmas blessing. I just wish I could see his face when he opens the box.

We know that he will enjoy his very special gift.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy