Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Share your new ancestry search tips

Ancestry didn't get rid of their Old Search engine, yet. It is still there, and I continue to use it everyday, and it is my default Search. Ancestry hides the link to change to Old Search for those unawares, hoping that people will only use New Search.
For most members one can get to Old Search by clicking onto the "Search All Records" under the SEARCH tab at the top, then way over on the far right in very small letters there is "Go to Old Search"; once that is clicked, make sure you also put a check mark in "Exact Matches Only", otherwise the Searches will look just like "New Search."

What I suspect you are running into is using your genealogy software when you're on the site, allowing it to do searches. I've heard that people using FTM on Ancestry are being defaulted to New Search. I only use Ancestry for the records I can find, I don't build a tree there, and I've had a great deal of success there using Old Search for many years. They did announce a few weeks ago that they intend to get rid of Old Search, and there was a terrific uproar. Over the years, I have tried it from time to time, but I frankly find that their New Search is nothing but a waste of time & energy since it gives you far too many results for things that you never even asked for, and then you have to scroll through countless pages to see each of those results. Old Search puts all results on one page, with a listing of how many hits are for each field, giving one the option to easily pick & choose the ones you want to look through. Supposedly, they are working on a "newer, better" New Search that will include the best of Old Search features, but I frankly am not holding my breath since so many "improvements" they've had recently have not been good. They've been doing tests of various features for months now, and then removing them quickly when they see how awful they are. Within the next couple of weeks, for instance, they are making some changes to the Message Boards, which haven't been functioning correctly for the better part of a year now. All I can say, is that we'll have to wait and see what kinds of changes they are making at Ancestry, and I'm sticking with Old Search until I have absolutely no choice but to try a new one again.

Deloris

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy