Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Ida Fuller Vance [Midwife Shout Out]

For many years midwives were the doctors for so many babies coming into the world. White doctors would not attend our people. Black doctors were few. I read about women who were midwives but we forget to put the name, the town, state and time period when we talk about them. We need to start honoring them by doing this.
In researching my family surname, I found that Ida Fuller Vance, who lived in Mountville, SC, helped deliver 10 of her grandchildren as well as other cildren in this small town up until abt 1940.
She and her family then moved to Pa. where she lived to be 108. When talk we about these ladies lets give their names, any info u can. So many people born with the help of these ladies, did not have the paper birth certificate, a name of a midwife can be valuable. One man happened to mention this to someone who knew his family, and it happened that there was a name and a picture a friend of the family, was able to give him. He only knew a last name of the midwife all his life. This man is 55 and can now see the first women who first saw him. Gives u a warm feeling. :)

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy