Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Funeral obit programs
In Response To: Re: Funeral obit programs ()

Yep ..I come up with great ideas and I try not to make it seem like I am creating a job for any one person, regardless. We all can do this one funeral program at a time. Just need a way for the less computer savvy to do this. It seems everyone has IPhones, always taking pictures. If that could be used to send a picture to a place that could save on a site for future research, that would be a BABY STEP. I am not computer literate. Have to call my dau. to help when my computer 'gets angry with me':\. I wish I knew how to set up a program where anyone anywhere could just scan the entire funeral programs and post it.
On other facebook genealogy pages that I am a member of, I requested that anyone who knew the name of a society/Library/Archive to please post it. When I do on site research, I would like to have a list of states and cities I know have these, so I can research info for a possible member. So far I have 10 different named holdings. In reviewing these, if there r funeral programs cataloged in libraries r archives anyone can come in and view them. If they r on a FREE or if necessary pd site that is another option. But if the holdings r in a Genealogy Society, how do u know this If u r not a pd member. How do u know WHICH Societies have these if there is no directory to google stating who and what state? All family researchers r not and have no idea what being a member of a genealogy can do to inhance their research. They think ancestry.com is the place. NOT!! And we know all genealogy societies r strictly dedicated volunteers, NOT people to do your research. They guide u and collect data.
So in my own way, I am horrified to know all of all those very old funeral records from our black funeral homes have been and probably as u read this is being discarded, to make room. There is no law to govern this in my state. Just the diligence of whoever decides to do so. The computer techs r needed in almost every field. Who pays them if your business is small...example country towns.
So with this worry on my mind, I SHOUT IT OUT to everyone. We need to Save Our History starting now. Funeral Home Programs. Collect them, scan them, post them...someone create a International Digitzed Database accessible to everyone.
E.T...You suggested talking to a caretaker. These people r not available at cemeteries where I live. Not like u think. You go to a Cemetery office to get info abt graves in the cemetery.
I have called long distance to funeral homes, churches in MISSISSIPPI for info. No one returns calls. I have sent snail mail to different cemetery offices, funeral homes and churches...no one responds. I have walked the walk, but did not know, they didn't have those 'colored records'. When u go looking for a cemetery for your people from the past--ask where r the Colored Cemeteries. Somebody can point u to a area. You might see a few head stones. But u have to remember, people of color could not afford to buy elaborate headstones for the deceased. A tree, a bush, a rock some land mark was a grave stone. AGAIN..we all need to collect these funeral programs and if nothing else, ask your library to provide a space where a 3 wring binder can be shelved for those who will come looking for information. OK I am through preaching ;)

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy