Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Helpful Tips ~ Trip to Salt Lake City

8) Each person here has given you exact and correct information....
3 days is not enough time. 7 days is not enuff time. U will find out there is just so much u did not know that u should have been been prepapred for because the set up is NOTHING like any on site research in any Archives or library.
1. Go to familysearch.org and the FHL#'s are the ones you will need to have to look up microfilm boxes, ex. fhl 238567. This is their number on the internet site then, when u look into the section it gives a breakdown of what this microfilm may hold. NO WRITTEN information is on the boxes. Keep this list with u. I took a handwritten list--paper and pencil--no laptop, cameras nothing that could be stolen. Take a lot of low denomination money. I am not sure if they accept debit or credit cards in the facility now. People will steal anywhere everywhere, anything. Folks come into the facility. Greyhound bus station in walking distance from Library. Dishonesty Lives...in many colors.
2. Hotel is right behind the Library. This is a Plus. I dont know the if the name is the same. I went with my local Society years ago. Did not need a vehicle. Paid for my own meals and was discounted through the group. U will have to check with the hotel rates for individual. Whatever the rate for individuals, it is worth it.
3. A restaurant is in walking distance of the hotel for a evening meal. It is somewhere in back of library. We went there. People forget to eat when researching and tend to get sick. You cannot do this. The hotel has a restaurant EAT. Take a break, Eat.
4. BEFORE U GO. Look at the floor plan of the Library. It is on the internet site. Each floor is explained and details what they hold.
5. DO NOT LOOK FOR INFO YOU CAN FIND AT HOME. Only look for info you cannot get anywhere else or have been able to locate. Do not treat this as a tour.
6. THERE r MORMON VOLUNTEERS only. Be respectful of them. They r there to help you and they rotate floors. You may not see the same person.
7. NO FOOD OR DRINKS ALLOWED in Library buildings.
8. GET YOUR REST. The building will be there.
9. Dress respectfully AT ALL TIMES.
10. REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW--all rules and regulations of the Salt Lake Cities way of Life. They ask all visitors to respect their religion. We were able to sit in on the choir practicing one nite. There was a schedule given out at the hotel. It was wonderful. I don't know if this was something given to every hotel or not, but I do know my Society group gave it to us.
I will note here, the year I went--there WAS NO BLACK UTAH GENEALOGY SOCIETY organized there. There now is. I dont want to give the incorrect name of this society here but it can be found on the AAHGS.org website. I join different societies to learn what they have going on in their group and to know what group tours they may have so I can hook up with them and get hotel, transportation and/or group discounts whether I am in that city or not. Different Societies may take groups to different cities or workshops. It is safer to travel with a group whenever you can. It helps with the budget. When going to a city to do onsite research, such as UTAH, I could contact the society, if they were sponsoring it, because I am a paid society member, they may be able to help me with housing and other tidbits of information. I am not at this time, a Utah Society member, but that doesn't mean I would not have a future interest in joining and I do not live anywhere near the state. A lot of you depend HEAVILY on FACEBOOK. That is not always the place to look.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy