Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: "Who Am I?" Family Children's Project

I have enjoyed reading all of the post concerning engaging youth in genealogy and have finally figured out the best strategy for me to get my adult children interested in genealogy. I share short stories about the family history, old movies, and provide them with photos. I gave my daughter a photo of my father holding her as a baby and noticed that that photo is displayed in her home. My Dad passed away before she could ever develop a memory of him. The same is true for her paternal great grandmother. A movie was taken of her paternal grandmother talking to her as an infant and this is a priceless moment for her to see movie.

I developed a fan family tree chart for every member of the family and sent this as a gift.

My daughter and I are also planning a genealogy trip to Barbados and this was her idea.

My granddaughter has been photographed in my baby sweater, lying on a quilt made by her great grandmother and video-taped with my mother before she passed away. I also have all of the photos of my family displayed with the oldest relative (my great great grandfather, who was born in 1855). My granddaughter is also very familiar with the family tree and can recite every single family connection on my paternal and maternal side of the family.

The latest activity for my granddaughter involved writing a note to herself about the Emancipation Proclamation. The letter was enclosed with the 150 Anniversary Emancipation Proclamation stamp and mailed back to her with the another Emancipation Proclamation stamp on the envelop.

Bottomline, we must talk to our kids.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy