Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Genealogy Tip for 2013

8) I am posting on every genealogy website I use new surname information for each Brick Wall name I have been having problems with, a short bio. Last year I posted this in the surname and state forums to make sure it would get seen. Well it worked. Thanksgiving and Christmas is a time when families get together and start talking about deceased members. It's a great oppurtunity for them to interview senior members and compare what are who might look like someone from the past. Put names out there none of the young folks know about and you can be sneaky and video are take pictures of folks who claim they dont like to take pictures.

1 year ago some of my new repostings were found on the internet. The descendants who had googled family surnames found Afrigeneas.com, looked at all the surnames posted by Cynthia, asked one of those senior members and cousins, did they know me are the people I talked about. Someone knew-some one remembered. A Brick Wall crumbled down.

I have a cousin who I know--just told me she was not interested in knowing about people deceased that no one ever talked about. And the 2 aunts on her mothers side never talked about the past. Well I wanted to tell this College Diva, that's because of what she just said, but you know I would have been totally wrong by pointing that out. Then she added IF any of the cousins (we live in 2 different states) would like to get to know me, please let them know it's ok to call me. Well Duhhh! I just dont understand her thinking. So start reposting surnames with complete full names and dates of the DECEASED. Do it for each surname. Include names that was on the census, the city and state and birth information. Do not abbreviate anything. It worked for me and it can work for you. These young folks are more savvy about finding info on this net. Give them something to look for. Make it interesting.

Next - there are new workshop genealogy classes being organized in different states. There will be some familiar speakers conducting classes, some who are Afrigeneas members. I wont out them here, but let them tell you who they are. The NGS and FGS are 2 societies to think about attending. I always suggest attending a 2 day work shop out of your home state. It is more economically viable. You get discounted hotel group rates in very good hotels.

Join a genealogy society of interest. Many of them post information in their newsletters about workshops to attend. Information is out there. You just have to be a society member to find it.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy