Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Making The Most of Internet Archive

Making the Most of Internet Archive
By Kimberly Powell,

Many genealogists are familiar with the free website, Internet Archive, as a free source of digitized books and historical texts. Many, however, don't realize that you can also use this site to access digitized copies of many genealogical records, also for free! Just check out the U.S. census images, for example, scanned from microfilm from the collections of the Allen County Public Library. Federal decennial censuses are available 1790-1930 as digitized image scans only -- no search available. Despite having full, searchable access to U.S. census records through other websites, I still turn to the Internet Archive U.S. census collection whenever I run into a hard-to-read census page; the copies are very often clearer and easier-to-read. If you're on budget, you can conduct your free census searches at FamilySearch.org, and then browse Internet Archive for the actual census image for any census to which FamilySearch does not include the full census images (e.g. 1910-1930). Sure it takes some time to browse to the correct page but heck, I can do it from home in my pajamas for free. What's there to complain about?

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy