Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Civilian Conservation Corps Talk

Just an FYI on requesting CCC records (my dad served 1941-1942 at a camp in Illinois):

"Things you need to know to request:
Enrollee name:Last, First, Middle or, nickname
Birth date:
Branch of Service: Civilian Conservation Corps
Separation Date:
Location of the camp (if known):

Make a copy your request for your file. Sign and date your request and mail to:

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
ATTN: Archival Programs
P.O. Box 38757
St. Louis, MO 63138
Phone: (314)801-9250

Fax requests will be accepted at 314-801-9270 but a signature must be included.

Notification of fees and payment methods will be sent to the requester as part of the case processing.

Other information, including camp and company reports, reside in the National Archives. To date these items are not indexed, but are available for study at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.

To Acquire CCC Records from The National Archives By Mail
Point of contact: Gene Morris, Civilian Records, Textual Archives Services in College Park, Maryland, at 301-837-1993.

If possible, you will need to know the camp designation number, such as Camp SP-7 near Munford, Alabama. Mr. Morris can quickly tell you how much information is available, and approximately how much it will cost to have it sent. If you only know the company number, for example Company 468, it can usually be cross referenced from the lists of camps and companies on the States and Camps list. When the camp designation number is not on this page, it is helpful to know where the company was stationed before or after the camp location you are looking for.

The National Archives stores information from most of the state parks camps, including Camp Inspection Reports, Project Reports with pictures and some correspondence. There are not many records from 1933 and early 1934 when the CCC was in its early stages of development. In some cases, reports were lost or never reached the Washington Office to be filed and later archived. If the National Archives does not have information on the camp that you are researching, try contacting the National Forest nearest to the camp location. Some Forests still have the original reports from their CCC projects.

Estimating your cost and payment
A "Quotation for Reproduction Services" will be sent to you, listing the information available and price. The order by mail must be prepaid. They accept a credit card, check or money order. After your payment has been received, it usually takes ten to twelve weeks for delivery. For additional cost, several different vendors at the National Archives can make reproductions of still photographs, aerial film, maps and drawings. A list of these vendors will be sent with information on how to contact them."

Messages In This Thread

Civilian Conservation Corps Talk
Re: Civilian Conservation Corps Talk

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy