Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: CITY DIRECTORIES
In Response To: CITY DIRECTORIES ()

Thank you all for your comments and help. I thought the lowercase "r" might mean "rear" but dismissed it in the case of my grandparents and great-grandparents. They lived (bought) at 2017 Filbert St in Oakland CA in the 1940's so "residence" makes more sense to me, in their particular case. I found my great-grandfather, listed as Britton, A A Rev at the Filbert Street address with a separate phone number from my grandmother who was listed as Britton, Mary. My goodness, what memories flooded back when I saw the listed number with that Glencourt exchange.

My grandfather's brother, Willie Britton, was listed with the address of 2018 Filbert Street. That was across the street. Vague memories of him coming to my grandparents' house from across the street came back to me. Occupations were not listed, at least not on the images I saw, but titles were. So you knew if a person was a doctor or lawyer or preacher like my great-grandfather.

Another thing I was looking for was to see if a certain photography studio was listed in the yellow pages. It had an address on 7th Street in Oakand, CA. No luck. The studio is no longer on 7th Street today, but I suspect it was a black photographer who owned it. I'm sure when I get to the Oakland Main Public Library, the info on the studio can be found. Again, thank you all for your help. Continuing my looks thru the city directories, it's fun.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy