Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Slaughter family of Virginia

Greetings,

Years ago I received an e-mail from a young woman looking up her family, their name was Slaughter. I found that she was black (I don't know how most people of color would like to be addressed, excuse my ignorance), I am white. I thought that she at first was white and looking for my family. What I found was that she was looking for her slave ancestors. I was horrified by and ignorant of the fact that my family had ever owned slaves. I was raised in North eastern Ohio and the thought had never crossed my mind. Then when I discovered that my ancestor, Francis Slaughter, born in Virginia in 1624, left one male slave named David, to his son, Francis Slaughter, Jr. in his will, I continued searching.
I have no delusions about how their slaves were treated, they gave them away as property in their wills for the next two hundred years, including "their increase". The Slaughter family has been in America since John Slaughter first came here in 1610 and lived in "Jamestown Citte". For those of you looking for your ancestors, look at the Slaughter family wills in the Virginia State Archives, they often list the names of the specific Slave they are willing away. Anyone may e-mail me if they like and I will check my records for you, I don't have much, but it is the least I can do. I am amazed their are so many people of color named Slaughter, and am glad that their ancestors persevered.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy