Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: South Carolina -Join the SC Society

Kristen... I suggest this all the the time. I find that people may not see the point in doing this, but information about workshops, discounts for hotels and newsletter magazines do a lot to help all ethnic people find information about family. SC has a lot of genealogy information in their records. We black people must dig into it, write about our family histories, and as paid society members add this family history to the newsletter magazines. This becomes a permanent research record for the future. I am a Charter member of the Old Edgefield Afro American Genealogy Society. Your County of interest may not have a society. But Tompkins Library houses a lot of Archival Records for many of the counties. I don't have any idea if it would be for your county of interest, but it is a start. As a member, you would automatically be a member of the SC Genealogy Society. The QUILL is a Newsletter that you can submit a story about your family history. The Homeplace is another Newsletter Magazine, as well as the Carolina Herald. Each one has it's guidelines but I assure you at least one of them will publish your family story. I have done so and will continue to do so as I make new discoveries about my family. New memberships starts in any societies in Dec. Even if you join now, you still will have to renew in Dec. They have workshops in different parts of South Carolina, different speakers, and DISCOUNTS. I use the hotel discounts and free breakfast meals for research trips. Every little bit helps. SO EVERYONE WHO IS A SC RESEARCHER--consider doing this.
One other thing. When you visit Columbia SC--don't forget to visit SC University. With the help of my friend the GPS, I went there and looked through the records in their library for my surname of question. Wasn't much there. But I get copies of anything I find. You just never know when or if you will ever get back. I find folks just will not tell this little old black lady on a cane NO. And I politely say--thank you Baby ;) .

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy