Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: South Carolina research trip - urgent

I did on site research at the Archives. for Edgefield. When you find records, you cannot get copies the same day. You pay one day and they will mail them or you pick them up a designated day. I am not sure what date it is at present. There has been a personnel reduction so everyone is doing double jobs.
Hotels are close by, but I do not like the heat and walking. That's up to the person. I saw no public transportation during my stay. Eateries are close also. The archives have a lot to offer. Go on line and look at the holdings they have first or call and ask. Have your TO DO LIST ready. I was there 3 days with the SC Genealogy Society Workshop.(did not make it to the workshop by the way) I found a Deed for a ancestor on the 11th hour of my last day. It seems like that always happens when I am doing on site research anywhere. Pace yourself. Don't forget to eat and keep hydrated. I can't tell you about the records you are seeking specifically. Usually the counties in questions have better holdings in their court houses. My deed was on the microfilm. I saw no one using digital cameras, or the 'wands'. There are Lockers outside of the library. It is also a good idea to take a seat cushion. Sometimes chairs can get mighty uncomfortable. There was a book that I looked through that gave me the name and file number for my ancestor, then I needed to go to a file drawer to get the microfilm. They also have computers. Everyone was very helpful. Malls and Souveniers--a GPS was my bestest friend. Happy hunting. 8)

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy