Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

AfriGeneas Community --- Networking & Sharing

The networking and sharing aspects of AfriGeneas never cease to amaze me. A recent example is found in an email I received from Mr. Jari Honora, the AfriGeneas Creole Research Forum Manager.

Jari, who I met in person at the 2009 IBGS held in Ft. Wayne, IN is doing research on Rev. Dr. Charles Henry Thompson, the first AA Episcopal priest in the State of Louisana, During the course of his research he ran across a letter from Father Thompson written in 1860 that referenced Urbana, Ohio, Muddy Creek and a AA gentleman named Adams. Here is an excerpt from that email.
=====
"Hello Mr. Art,

I hope you are doing well. In addition to my research for my book on my fraternal order, I have been doing some research on the Reverend Doctor Charles Henry Thompson, the first black Episcopal priest in Louisiana. Father Thompson was born in Little York, PA in 1826 and was apparently free, as the earliest known references in the 1840s show him as free.

The students at Oberlin College during the nineteenth century took their long vacation during the winter as opposed to the summer, during which time they often taught and/or preached in small and isolated rural communities. Father Thompson was a student at Oberlin from 1854 to 1860, during which time he traveled at each long Winter vacation and each short July vacation to the black communities in Logan, Champaign, and Miami counties in southern Ohio. Among the places he ministered to, were Bellefontaine, Pickreltown, Urbana, Troy, and Muddy Creek.

At Muddy Creek, he would visit with the people there who had organized a church. From his description [1860], the church was a "long house," [could be a longhouse or a 'log house'] which also served as the school. The leader of the little church of about thirty-five was an old man "from the South," [I suppose to distinguish him from the natives of the North] who was called Father Adams. He served as sexton, trustee, teacher, and exhorter to the people. Father Thompson approximated his age as about seventy years. The church had been built at Father Adams' own expense and by his own labor. Thompson really seems to have been inspired by Father Adams.
I set out to find out who this seventy-year-old Southern-born man was, and the only person I could find matching that description was Lewis Adams.

I read on your site that Lewis Adams was a charter member of Saint Paul A.M.E. Church in Urbana, but I wonder if he could have been affiliated with this church in Muddy Creek? Would the Adams have been living in Urbana in 1860 or in Muddy Creek?

I have attached the letter where Father Thompson describes Father Adams and the church at Muddy Creek.

Let me know what you think.

Jari"
=======

Of course I was elated at the email and responded to Jari indicating that ... Yes, I believed Father Adams was my 3rd great-grandfather, Lewis Adams. I sent Jari a few documents that seemed to support that conclusion. Lewis Adams purchased 200 acres of land in 1829 in Concord Twp., which was located near Muddy Creek.

Here are the documents for your review.

1850 Census record for the Lewis Adams and others in Concord Twp.,, Champaign County, OH.
http://tinyurl.com/cdmxmhr

1857 Plat map for Concord Twp., Champaign Co., OH reflecting the Adams properties and their nearness to the Muddy Creek referenced in Rev. Dr. Thompson's letter. Muddy Creek is seen just above and to the left of the Adams properties.
http://tinyurl.com/bre23z6

1860 Census record for the Lewis Adams and others in Concord Twp.,, Champaign County, OH.
http://tinyurl.com/cflv98h

I've also included a transcribed version of the 1860 Rev. Dr. Thompson letter which Jari Honora attached to his email. Click icon

So, thanks to AfriGeneas and Mr. Honora I am able to network and share this piece of information on my 3rd great-grandfather, Lews Adams, Rev. Dr. Charles Henry Thompson, the Muddy Creek Settlement and Oberlin College that I was previously unaware of.

Wamest Regards,
Art Thomas

Art's Families & Other Folk
http://tinyurl.com/cmntbhe

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy