Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Did Your Family Experience Jim Crow?

A little clarification about that first hospital:

When the "new" hospital opened, apparently that "whites only" hospital closed. The building was later used to house the police department. I only learned of it because about two years ago, there was an article in the hometown paper about the new police department building. The article said that the police had previously been housed in what was the old hospital building, the one which had been replaced in 1952 by a "new" hospital, the one that I went into as its 2nd patient. Nobody that I asked knew of the "whites only" hospital.

Since this was all news to me, I had to think and visualize exactly where that was. I could see "in my mind's eye" that night time visit, remembering the doctor walking down a long sidewalk from the building to the car. And I knew where the police department was from recent visits "back home." And to be absolutely sure, I checked it out on my next visit home. Yes there was a long walk way from the building out to the sidewalk, so it was not my young child's imagination...

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy