Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Finding Family in the 1940 Census .... Problem

vkn, Thanks so very much for your comment and the Link to the Seaver article. The article & the comments to it do a nice job of explaining what I tried to convey in my initial posting .... If you are unable to find your family, expand your search using wild cards and other filters/parameters because "name searches" in themselves are subject to error, or inconsistencies. Don't limit your search to only how you "think" the given and surnames are spelled, as Lisa B. Lee's rule #1 states spelin' duzn't kount. These "errors" may be due to a variety of factors, ..... enumerator spelling, transcriber interpretation, data entry, etc.

For Cynthia, I have also done some indexing for FamilySearch as part of my local genealogy society's effort to help in the indexing of the 1940 census. I'm sure that I have mis-interpreted the writing of some enumerators and contributed my share of errors. :)

Another excellent point in the Seaver article is the corrective process available on Ancestry.com. When the indexing "smoke" clears I will be certain to submit a correction for my wife's family. For I know the surname to be HARVEY and not HOWEY, her father's given name as Leslie and not Sesley and my wife's given name as Anita and not Anera as is currently indexed on Ancestry.com.

Thanks vkn, Cynthia and 3rdthawkins for your replies and best wishes to all as you search the 1940 census records.

Art Thomas

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy