Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Finding Family in the 1940 Census .... Problem

Yeah Art, the saga continues, with the excitement of it all those problems still exist.

Since posting census records of famous people, I have found those famous listed under a different surname. Case in point, recently James Earl Jones listed by his maternal grandparents' last name Connolly.

I am on the hunt for my maternal grandfather and his younger siblings. I have found his mother, my great grandmother, and only one of his siblings in 1940, listed under great grandma's maiden name Cummings instead of the Townsend surname. Now I am on the hunt for grandpa and his little siblings. I thought they would be in California since that's where they moved to in the early 1940s, but wasn't successful at finding them. I did find their father, who was living by himself.

Same issue for my maternal grandmother, she and her siblings listed under their stepfather's last name. And her mother, my great grandmother, listed as Anna instead of Hannah.

We have to watch for the spellings, nicknames, shortened forms of names, middle names, and listed under someone else's name. Yeah, they had a life and they lived it. We have to take those things into consideration.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy