Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Finding Family in the 1940 Census .... Problems???

While the indexing efforts by several companies when completed will solve many problems with finding family in the 1940 census please be aware of those instances where your family may be mis, or incorrectly indexed. In these cases techniques using parameters other than simply a name may be needed.

A case in point, on Ancestry.com my wife, surname of HARVEY and her family could not be found in the State & County of their residence in 1940, Soundex and Wildcard were of no help.

Searching by State (Ohio), County (Washington), Township (Barlow) and Race (Negro) they were found, indexed as HOWEY, rather than HARVEY. Her father Leslie was indexed as Sesley HOWEY and she, Anita, was indexed as Anera HOWEY.

I have found several other instances where family was found mis-indexed and had to use parameters other than just name(s) in my searches to find them. I could not find my mother and her 2nd husband, by name in Ohio, where they were "supposed" to be. I widened my search to any State, her "first" name (Vera), birth location (Ohio), age (1915) +/- 2 years, gender (Female), relationship (Wife), race (Negro). I found her and her husband living within 2 blocks of her mother, my grandmother, and her 2nd husband living in Pittsburg, PA.

My point here ...... before saying your folks were missed and aren't in the 1940, which may the case, expand your search beyond only their name(s) and where you "think" they are supposed to be. Use all of the search parameters available in varying combinations with other personal information and you just might find them, I did.

Good Luck with the 1940 Census,
Art Thomas

Art's Families & Other Folk
http://tinyurl.com/cmntbhe

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy