Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Genealogical Case Study ?
In Response To: Genealogical Case Study? ()

Hello Doug,

I agree with your statement "Perhaps could make a good genealogical case study'.

The "reviewed, verified and corrected" and the information used mentioned center around the parentage (father) of Esther/Hester Louise ...... Rider or Hargo.

My original findings, prior to the Finding Your Roots (FYR) show, had Esther as the child of George Washington Hargo & Bethinia Jane "Bessie" Underwood. This connection bypassed and was contrary to the Polley connection which was revealed on the FYR episode. Information I later received when I questioned the Stephens-Polley relationship stated that Esther was the child of James Rider/Ryder/Reder & "Bessie" Underwood and the step-daughter of George Washington Hargo.

Subsequent review of Ohio census, birth, marriage & death records on FamilySearch and Ancestry.com did reveal a 30 June 1900 marriage of James Rider & Bessie Underwood in Greene Co., OH, probably Xenia, OH. The 1920 census reflects in Springfield, Clark Co., OH an indexed 32 y/o widowed Bessie Reder with daughters, Delores (13), Harriett (7), Hester, possibly Esther, (5 9/12), Bernice (3 2/12).

There is a recorded marriage record for a Harriett Hargo & William Anthony dated 14 June 1928 in Springfield, Ohio. This marriage record states Harriett's parents as George Hargo & Bessie Underwood, with Harriett's birth location listed as Dayton, OH. Harriett is stated as being17 y/o at the time of this marriage and permission is granted by her mother Bessie J. Meyers (?) ...... another wrinkle.

Adding to this is the death record for Esther Louise (Hargo) Moore, dated 22 Jan 1999, found on the Ancestry.com Ohio Death Record database which states the father's surname as Hargo and the mother's maiden surname as Underwood Ryder.

So... yes, this would be a good case study and for now I have recorded and followed the Underwood/Rider connection, but have also recorded the Underwood/Hargo connection in my files. Now all of this has been said and probably still does not answer questions. I know I am certainly confused and I am reviewing and studying the situation more closely and hoping for a resolution.

Sorry, AfriGeneas readers as this is probably more than you ever wanted to know about this situation, but thought an explanation for my reasoning should be expressed. Doug, you and I can continue our discussion here on AfriGeneas or off-line, your choice.

Thanks to all for your patience.
Art Thomas

===========================
Doug wrote"

"Here is Art's post on those Families:
Terrence,
I am/was quite aware of "Art's post on those families". In essence I was actually responding to that post but responded under the one I did because words such as "reviewed, verified and corrected" were used. The original post just mentions the conclusions drawn from the "information". So my question remains the same. What was the information "reviewed, verified" that would cause him to change. In other words because of "this" information I originally had "this" but I now realize my original conclusions seemed correct based on what I had but with this "new" information I now realize that...etc. Again, my question is what was the "new"
information? A previously undiscovered birth record? or marriage record? or family bible entry? etc.

Perhaps could make a good genealogical case study?

Doug

Arts notes
http://tinyurl.com/6ududkh "

Messages In This Thread

Genealogical Case Study?
Re: Genealogical Case Study ?
Verifying Sources chat loc

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy