Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Verifying Sources
In Response To: Verifying Sources ()

Lyle,
I've been in your place, too, and understand completely how frustrating it is! It's happened on many of my ancestors, for which I do very thorough research work, not just census records, which seems to be as far as many of those trees on Ancestry.com go in their "research". One example was my ancestor Thomas Green who was born ca 1760 in NC, and who I have carefully chronicled from enslavement to freedom in 1798, and followed him & his 11 children, some born in slavery and freed with him, and some born free, but all of them were living in Warren Co., NC during the 1800s. Yet I've seen at least a couple of trees take my ancestor, and place him in Tennessee with a completely different wife and several different sets of children, all born during the same years that I know his children were born in NC and remained there. Contacting the owners of threes does no good, because I'll bet they have no clue as to what they were doing anyway; it's obvious, they saw a name they were looking for, didn't matter what state they were living in, but they attached the person to their tree anyway. Nonsense trees like those make me want to pull my hair out, and I'm often seen screaming and cursing at my computer by my family when I come across crap like that, it unnecessarily raises my blood pressure, so I do try to stay away from looking at other peoples trees, unless I am completely at a standstill and have no clue where someone may have disappeared to, and I may look up a name to see if someone else may have something to point me in the right direction. The times I do find something, and I get a "aha!" moment, I then go out and start looking for records on my own to support the possibility of that person being the one I'm looking for. I just wish people putting their trees on Ancestry would do the same, to learn to actually RESEARCH a name in a tree and not to just COPY it in it's entirety without any idea if it is the right person.

Deloris

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy