Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Mississippi Genealogy Research--Societies

Georgia ..when I was in my 30's I went to Monroe Ms. I was at peace with it then, because I feel, ancestors were strongly guiding me and protecting me. I had a sisterfriend who had family who lived in West Point. So they would make a phone call to where I stayed and even came and got me a couple of times. At that time all went well and I had no discomfort. But on the last day, I knew it was time to go. Nothing happened, just a strong feeling.

I would advise any one who wants to do any research and feel uncomfortable about traveling to the the county of choice, go to Jackson, Ms, the State Archives. Big city. A hotel is 1 1/2 blocks down the street, walking distance. I needed no car. There are records of choice from counties in the state, but I can safely say all information is not online on family search nor the archives. In my case I KNOW, because some of the years of documents I copied are not at the MS. Archives. INDEXERS needed. I ate in the hotel, a sandwich shop was next door and about 2 blocks over from the hotel on the square, was another restaurant. Mind you that was many years ago and the hotel name may be changed, but they had a shuttle service to and from the airport. I believe it was the Marriott. Real safe feeling, in the summer, weather was hot. The archives also recommends other hotels near by. I needed no car.

I have taken it upon myself to write to certain Genealogy Societies, requesting a reason why, why not and if they would ever host a Genealogy Workshop in this city and state. So far only one has responded. A already scripted discription of the organization and it's policies. No real response. But I expected this. This letter was sent to a well known LARGE membership Society. I will not out names of societies I have contacted. (Actually got a 'gibberish' response--aka no comment). The other 2 have not responded, yet. There are many of us Mississippi descendants that have a lot of history there. We ALL want to feel safe and comfortable to travel to the state. Actually if letters start going in just before membership renewal is due--that will put societies on notice, the large ones and the small ones. Past Ghost still haunts our minds and families. Don't be apprehensive it's just a letter of inquiry--no demands or suggestions of negativity. Plant the seed.

There are genealogy societies there, just no Afro American. Attempts(2) at organizing have not been very successful, from what I am been told. You must have people in place, who are strong enough to support each other and carry the load. Young blood. When and if it ever happens, all of us people outside of the area must do more than 'lip service' and help them. We have a black president. That took a large push to support. Mississippi needs to be INVADED with family researchers. soon. We want to know about our Mississippi past.

MAYBE just MAYBE some of you Afrigeneas posters will decide to do a letter writing campaign to a society you are affiliated with and ask them to join in cooperation with other's to make a plan for a conference there. Yep,you have to go to the post office buy a stamped envelope. I DON'T MEAN EMAILS OR LIP SERVICE. Put it in writing--SNAIL MAIL. ;)

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy