Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Mississippi Genealagy Research--Societies

I am asking this question on different websites and hope to get a rational answer. Why is it that you do not hear about Afro American Genealaogy Societies anywhere in Mississippi. I know for a fact there has been at least 2 attempts to organize. Organizing any group is difficult. I know there is a big demand for information from the Archives and County seats. Many years ago I was compelled to go to Monroe Co. and Jackson Ms to do research alone. I will always suggest the State Archives of any State of interest. Big cities and public transportation is available. I can't tell you how strong that push was to do so, but I stopped what I was doing and started calling airlines, hotels asking here on Afrigeneas.com what to expect, where to stay anything I needed to be aware of. Everything went fine. By the way if you will ever travel to a small town to do research, post and ask here. Very good reliable information will be told to you. I had no problems while I was in the town. Went to the Court houses, found the land my peeps once owned, went to the library. Found lots of good stuff. I even went so far as, I had people calling me from home and I happened to have a sisterfriend who's people lived in West Point Ms, come to the Bed and Breakfast, where I stayed. Visibility. But when it was time to go, I was ready. The air was kind of stagnant. At a restaurant, on my way out, a nice black man walked up to me, saw me looking at my map and told me the best way to drive to Atlanta,Ga for my flight. I refused to fly back on that 'crop duster of a 10 seat plane'.
Now I have been looking through the Genealogy conferences,and I will admit here, I do not know about all oppurtunities to attend seminars, nor do I have the funds to go everywhere, but Mississippi just seems like it is a non place.
So tell me are there any speakers who have made presentations there. When? What area? What group sponsored it? What was the reception like? Just asking. My 'ancestors want their story told too'. If anyone can tell me true facts its here on Afrigeneas. We need to INVADE that place.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy