Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Historical Society Directory

You know I get these ideas and have questions and I am so glad there are websites being developed where you post and ask questions and not have to wonder if anyone reads them. Afrigeneas and 2 others are really instrumental at this. I don't want to break protocol and mention the names of the other 2 here. You will have to contact me privately. What I want to share with everyone is I have wondered where are the Afro American societies in different states and I don't have the tech knowledge to find this on the internet. I have googled it, but the state I am interested in is MISSISSIPPI and there weren't very many of my interest there. At one time someone on Afrigeneas did post a long list. I can't find it. Wish they would do so again. I have been told there are many very good black speakers who try and wish to speak at genealogy workshops and seminars, but get turned down many times even though they follow all the guidelines for 'call of papers'. I know some of these people personally and they are good at what they do. So I started wondering, other than the well known, advertised societies where are do these speakers present, as well as the dates and the places. That problem of communicating their schedules is being worked on from what I am told, to be posted. What I would like to share all, is, I never hear anything about MISSISSIPPI Societies black or white organized. I know there were 2 attempts to organize a Afro American Society, in Jackson Ms, but so many people want the groups to be their researchers instead of committing to membership. There is a lot of slave history in Mississippi and we need to find our 'peeps'. I was sent a website that gives names of historical societies..
www.historical-society.com
I am currently just looking to see where these societies are organized in MISSISSIPPI. I will join one of interest just to see what it is all about. If I find out that they are worth my money and have information I need, I will be a member on paper. I am a member on paper for other societies where my ancestors lived. So this site and I hope the reposting of black historical societies is here for your information. My requirement of a Genealogy Society in good standing is they must sent out a Society Newsletter at least 2 times a year to paid members.

Messages In This Thread

Historical Society Directory
Re: Historical Society Directory
Re: Historical Society Directory

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy