Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Find A Grave
In Response To: Find A Grave ()

We have to verify everything, especially the actual records, wrong information get put down on records written during the event and have to be corrected later on.

Even actual Birth/Death/Marriage Certificates/Indexes can be wrong or give misleading information. I have learned that in my research, being able to obtain multiple sources is a good thing.

The Soc. Sec. Death Ind. can give one date of death, a state death index can give another death date, and the obituary/death certificate gives another. To have all three sources, especially if you don't know what is correct, is a good thing. Don't just take one source, someone here at Afrigeneas mentioned having multiple sources for one event, I use to think all I need is one source.

My maternal grandfather has two different birth dates, the SSDI gives one in Sept. and his Soc. Sec. App gives one in Feb. His son, my uncle, more believes the one in Sept. is correct.

You always have to verify and check your sources. People on Find A Grave are just volunteers, they are not related to the people whose information they put online, so they are only putting information they see and are misled when they see information that looks like it's connected to the person whose death information they are putting online.

Messages In This Thread

Find A Grave

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy