Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Did Your Family Experience Jim Crow?

Thank you for sharing this Art, it is very insightful. Growing up in the 50s, one of a few black families on military bases, I never heard my father referred to anything other than his military rank (he was an NCO) or "Sir." Neither my parents or my grandmother ever discussed Jim Crow experiences, and this may have been because they lived primarily in black settlements, as did their ancestors, before arriving in Detroit. I do remember, however, my father, who served in WWII, saying that he had seen the worst of what humans can do to one another, when he was assigned to clean up the German concentration camps after the War ended. Maybe, he thought Jim Crow paled in comparison. I think my parents naively thought they could insulate their kids against knowing about or experiencing Jim Crow and segregation, but the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s changed that. I do believe my father, who was attached to the old intercontinental (Nike) ballistic missile systems, thought that such an assignment would keep him from being stationed in the deep South and for the most part it did - he retired from the Army in Detroit.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy