Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Did Your Family Experience Jim Crow?

Good questions .... and I'm sure the answers will run a whole range of experiences depending upon one's age group (generation), where your family was located during your formative years. (North, South, East West) and whether your community was rural or urban. I'm now in the Senior citizen age group, was raised "Up South" in a midwestern town of approximately 15,000 - 20,000 people, with a relatively small AA population.

• What do you know of Jim Crow?

My memories are of "de facto segregation" and not in the sense of strict adherence to the "separate, but equal laws" of Jim Crow. I do remember places where "colored" were not admitted and/or there were separate, segregated accommodations. There were no colored/white signs, but you "knew" where people of color were not well received :).

• Did you experience Jim Crow in your growing up?
My first experiences with the official and legal Jim Crow laws was in 1956 traveling by train from Ohio to California and being moved to separate train cars (colored) when we arrived in St. Louis, MO.... and not allowed to be served in the dining car, this lasted untli we had crossed TX. Also in 1956 when flying from Dayton, Ohio to Montgomery, AL at the change over in Atlanta, GA my seating was moved to the back of airplane

• What Jim Crow stories are shared by the grand mothers and grand fathers?

My maternal grandfather, his brother's and the older brothers's of my boyhood friends related their Jim Crow experiences in the military during WW I & WW II. My grandfather and some of the friends brother's saw action in Europe and were very upset and disturbed by their treatment upon returning to the United States.

• How do you include the Jim Crow experience when writing the family history?

Up to this point in time I haven't really stressed the impact of Jim Crow in the genealogy and writing of my family history. Perhaps I should.

Thank you for these thoughtful questions.

Art Thomas

Art's Families & Other Folk
http://tinyurl.com/cmntbhe

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy