Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Did Your Family Experience Jim Crow?

Interestingly, I was a black child in the 50s, and lived for part of the time in the South (Texas) but never experienced Jim Crow. My father was in the military, and the Army had desegregated by the time we moved to El Paso to live on a military base. El Paso was the first Texas city to desegregate and did so before I was born. Because my family moved back to Detroit where my father was reassigned, I didn't learn of segregation or Jim Crow until I saw the Civil Rights protests on the TV's national news. By that time, I was a pre-teen and was completely shocked, as I could not understand why blacks were treated so poorly in the South, and living in a majority black city, I couldn't comprehend why anyone would not want to be with black people. My Dad had a lot of 'splaining to do and it was a real education for me. Genealogically, I don't mention Jim Crow unless I feel it may have lead to the actions of ancestors, like their migration. I think it is interesting that Ferris State College, a small school in Big Rapids, Michigan would be undertaking this racist memorabilia museum, but thanks for the correct link, it was interesting.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy