Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

You Just Never Know-a cousin found

1 Dec 2011 is when I was contacted through Afrigeneas about someone inquiring about a posting I made about 3 years ago. It was posted as SLATER,FULLER VANCE,North Carolina. I had been looking for the family members of James Vance Sr bn 1868 SC. He was the last born child out of 6 to Adelaide Vance bn 1820. My grgrandma Lucy Vance was the first born of this family born 1852. One born into slavery, the other born free. The granddaughter of James Vance was the cousin who found it. We compared notes and we ARE cousins. Next she told me about family..
1. Henry "Bagger" Vance was our cousin. There was a movie made about a black caddie and a golf pro. Will Smith was the black caddie. I had the information in my notes about Henry, but it did not give a nickname of 'Bagger'. Google this name. he was very well respected on the golf course. Google -Bagger Vance.
2. The December cousin also told me there was someone from the family who lived in my city. They didn't know where. This cousin was finally found on a facebook page. The job she worked for 2 yrs. ago had employees Bio. on their page. You can imagine how excited I became. There was a picture of her and it said she lived in and went to schools in foreign countries. Well I thought they must be rich. Not so. Her father was the 11th black man to be hired into the US Foreign Service. This was in 1945. He was in charge of visa permits to the USA, in many, many foreign countries where they lived. One daugther was born in Haifa,Israel, the other in Cairo, Egypt. I would not have ever found this family group. They would not have been on any census and they moved around every 2 to 4 years. The family would come home maybe every 2 to 4 yrs, stay 2 months then gone again. I would not have found their name on any government employee records because I didn't know the surname TODD and this fathers surname was in a totally different city and state in the USA. A Vance Descendant.
So in April 2012, I was able for the first time to touch, look at old pictures of names I only saw on census and city directories and say to myself-you doing good girl. She and her sister wrote a book about their family=Watch out for the Elephants by C.Angela and C.Ann Todd. It may not still be in print, but through the authors, it can be purchased. Email me direct for information.You just have to read about a Black family, working for the Embassies in-Barbados,France,Austria,Germany,Zambia,Nigeria,Cote D'lvoire,Chad,Israel,Egypt,India,Pakistan,Indonesia

His name was James Richard Todd.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy