Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Union News Company (Railroad)
In Response To: Union News Company (Railroad) ()

My Friend:
The Union News Company, as fas as I know, was not a railroad, but provided news-stand services to many stations along the lines of many railroads, especially in the East. My grandmother, for example. had the Union News stand at the Spring Lake station of the New York and Long Branch, for as long as I can remember, until the '80's or '90's or so. As a youngster, spending my summers in Spring Lake (Jersey North Shore, wonderful times), I used to go, at age 9 or 10, to the station to "help" Grandmother with her stand.

The NY&LB is now a branch of Jersey Transit, and who knows what, if anything, is at the station now.

A story I will never forget, and I am in my 70's, -- one day, "helping" grandmother, a very distinguished looking gentleman came to the stand to get his newspaper before getting on his train into NYC. "Mrs. Burger, how are you?" and "Douglas, how are you and your brothers?" When the train had gone, Grandmother said, "Do you know who that is? " "No, of course not." "He's the Chief Justice of the New York State Supreme Court."

And the lesson I learned that day -- what does it cost you to be polite, to treat everyone you meet as a decent and respectable person, to be friendly and gracious to all? -- Nothing, nothing -- but, what wonderful good cheer you can leave behind you.

Merry Christmas, my friend--

The Rev'd Douglas C. Burger

twipper@gmail.com

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy