Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: FAMILY HISTORY MONTH CHALLENGE #1

I grew up in a track home, which was the first house my parents owned that was brand new. It was the first time I had ever had my own bedroom. We moved there a month before my 7th birthday.

My father, who was born and raised in the Midwest, had ideas about how people should live in California. One of those things was that you should own a convertible car and also have a pool in your backyard. **Laughs** I'm not sure where he got this from, but we always had a pool in our backyard, which of course was the case at my childhood home.

The house stayed mostly in it's form until I got into high school. Then we, well mostly me, re-tiled the family room and added some horrible wood paneling. Then, we added a bonus room in the garage, and me and my best friend at the time laid all the tile in the bonus room. I also helped with the sheet rock and caulking. Ever heard of a teenage girl doing all this stuff? **Laughs**

Our backyard was fairly large, but the house was about 300 feet from a major highway. About six months after we moved into the house, my father was at home on his off day, and heard a rumbling noise. He happened to be on the cordless phone with my mother at the time. At first, he thought either someone was trying to break into the house, or that we were having an earthquake. All of a sudden, my mother hears a scream and the phone drops. Fast forward about two hours later, and I walk in from school. A big rig, on the freeway behind the house, had lost two of it's tires, and one of them jumped the retaining wall, went through our neighbor's backyard, hit a double barrel BBQ, missed the pool and came through our kitchen window! Once it came through the kitchen window, it took off the door of the stove (Pops was cooking) and ran into the fridge. So, because of this, my mom lucked out and got a brand new, non-standard window and sink along with some brand new appliances. My father was not hurt, but seeing as though he was 6'3, and usually weighed between 280 and 300 pounds, it was hilarious to hear about him running outside. Our new neighbors were awesome and made our family dinner until things were fixed.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy