Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: FAMILY HISTORY MONTH CHALLENGE #1

I grew up in rural Alabama; the house I grew up in was situated in a marble quarrying community..my father worked in the marble quarry running a jackhammer. Our house usually had a layer of white dust.
My family consisted of my mom and dad and seven children; our house had three bedrooms and had no indoor plumbing or running water.
For many years my mom cooked on a woodburning stove.
Ours was a wood frame house with a fireplace in the living room which served as our main heat source; on winter nights we sat around the fireplace to stay warm and when we went to bed we bundled up and cocooned under quilts made by my mom to keep warm.
Our house had a large front porch which faced west where we gathered in summer evenings to sing and interact with each other..we had no tv for many years. We had a huge front yard and often were joined in play by our neighbors.
The porch set high off the ground -there were about 1sixteen wooden steps-my brother Pete and I loved to play and hide out under the porch; it was a great place to eavesdrop when my mom and her friends talked.
Our house was surrounded by our fields where we planted corn, beans, watermelons, peanuts, sugar cane, turnips, collards and many other vegetables. We also raised hogs and chickens..one of my first jobs was gathering eggs from the chicken coop.
We had lots of fruit trees; apples, peaches and pears and a grape arbor.
Although we moved when I was ten years old when I think of home this is the house that comes to mind

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy