Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: FAMILY HISTORY MONTH CHALLENGE #1

Memories of the house I grew up in.
There were two houses that I spent my child to adulthood in. They were both in Orrville. I lived with my grandparents. Both houses had poor living conditions: no indoor plumbing, holes in the roof and frame. The house we stayed in until I turned 12 is the house I want to focus on. I have the fondest memories of it.
It was only a three room shack covered in blue shingles. The landscape was awesome. My grandparents were tenant farmers. The property we lived on belonged to a man named Romulus Shade. Shade was an African American who lived in Linden, AL. Every once in a while he would come up to see my grandparents. He'd bring his two sons with him: Romulus and Remus. They were a lot older than me, but they were the tallest handsomest boys a little fast girl could set her eyes on.
The reason this property stuck out to me is because it was so beautiful. My grandaddy harvested peanuts, corn, peas, sweet potatoes and other foodstuffs as well as cotton. The house and property was in the woods. Really, it was. There were a total of two houses less than a mile from each other, and everything else was further away. It was down a long dirt road that curved sharply in front of our house. You had to cross a wooden bridge to get to our house. And when it rained a lot, the creek would swell and fish would overflow into the ditches on both sides of the road.
There was a spring behind our house where my grandparents would fetch water. There were peach trees, pecan trees, plum trees and berry vines.
Although I had sisters and brothers, I grew up as an only child. I loved Grandaddy's multitude of dogs more than I did the dolls my grandmother bought me.
Grandaddy didn't have a car. He had a mule and wagon and sold his roasted peanuts as he rode through Orrville on the wagon. When I was real little I used to sit in the wagon with him. As I got older, I was ashamed and wouldn't be caught dead with "the Peanut Man."
Cool nights in the spring and summer were so awesome. When I looked up at the sky it was so dark yet peppered with light. It seemed like heaven was so close. I could truly feel and reach out to God in what many would call a God forsaken place.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy