AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum
Re: SCHOOL DAYS--The name of yours?
In Response To: SCHOOL DAYS--The name of yours? ()
Peake High School, Arkadelphia, Arkansas
On a fall night in 1926, Sloan School burned down; and in 1928, the new Peake School was built. The construction was one brick building (Peake Rosenwald), located at 16th and Caddo Streets; and the Agricultural Shop, located on 16th Street. The school was under the leadership of Mr. S. Hildreth, and the landowner was Mr. J. Ed. Peake. The enrollment was less than 300 and the grades ranged from first through eighth.
Mr. Nathaniel B. Cooke became principal in 1938 and served for twenty-nine consecutive years before retiring. He is pictured with the first graduating class just inside the front door of our school.
In 1960, Peake High School (Building 1) was constructed at 1609 Pine Street for grades seven through twelve. Peake Rosenwald became Peake Elementary (Building 2) for grades one through six. Mr. Jerome Donaldson became principal of the elementary school and Mr. Cooke remained principal of the high school. Peake principals after Mr. Donaldson were Mr. Maurice Horton, Mr. Robert Worlds and Mrs. Marguerite Goodloe.
Arkadelphia Public Schools were totally integrated in 1970. Peake High School became Peake Middle School for grades five through seven. Principals after Mr. Cooke were Mr. William Keaton, Mr. Jerry Daniels, Mr. Carroll Wood, Mrs. Beria Jean, Mr. Randall Muse, Mr. Carrol Forte, Mrs. Terri Lindsey and Mr. Donnie Whitten.
The reorganization of Arkadelphia Public Schools in 1985 resulted in Peake Middle School becoming Peake Elementary School. Peake now educates grades four and five and is under the leadership of
Peake School is now listed with the National Trust for Historic Preservation as part of the program to preserve those left of the thousands of "Rosenwald" schools built, although the shop building is not listed.
Messages In This Thread