Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

City directories

Just bought a city directory from 1897. In my haste to look for family members, I did not take the time to read the directory from the beginning. Just did. It has a wealth of information for the genealogist. For instance, for the year 1897, I now know who ran the city government and departments. I know the names of all of the 'colored' churches in the town. I know where all of the railway stations were, and can figure out where a picture taken of the station my ancestors embarked from in 1905 is located. I know that while both 'white' and 'colored' male teachers made $30.00 a month, 'white' female teachers made $27, and 'colored' female teachers made $25 per month. I'm learning locations of various businesses, and the names of the 'colored' elementary schools. There is also a census of how many children of each designated race attend the schools and the length of the (very short) school year. I found that there are city directories that have been placed on CDs and sell for $9.99 on ebay. Oh, and I found out that my gggrandmother who had died by the 1900 census, was still alive in 1897 (or at least 1896 when they collected the information).
Gwen

Messages In This Thread

City directories
Re: City directories

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy