Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Funeral Records Connect Families

Great news! I had an experience just today that proves the value of preserving funeral programs.

For quite some time, I have been trying to find out what happened to Eugene Turner’s, my great grandfather, half sisters and brother but I was never able to find anything after 1930 on his sister Minnie. So I set aside this search for a while.

My cousin had a collection of old funeral programs and I scanned every one that I could get my hands on. Among the collection was one for a Minnie Player. This program was from 1953 and did not have any family information or an obituary of any kind. I assumed that Minnie Player was a family friend or relative but gave it no mind except I thought that this Minnie must be important or the program would not have been saved for more than 50 years.

Today, something told me to get out that obituary and see if I could find anything. These ancestors all lived in Bossier, Caddo and Bienville Parishes in Louisiana. I check the Caddo Marriage list for the surname Player and found a Bennie Player who was married to Minnie Washton [sic] in 1938. My Minnie’s first husband was Dave Washington. Very promising. Next I went to the Louisiana Online death records [heard about this website on Afrigeneas!] and there was Minnie Turner Washington Player. This is my great, grand aunt! I am sending away for the marriage and death records and I am so excited and can’t wait to get my hands on the actual records.

That old program just tickled my curiosity and within a few minutes, I was able to make some progress.

Sorry for blathering but I am really jazzed about this find.

Now I am off to wait for the mail and find out what happened to another sister, Betty.

Thank God for those programs my folks saved in those old bureaus. I hope all of them are digitized and available online one day.

Gwen

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy