Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Is Cousin Chart Helpful?
In Response To: Re: Is Cousin Chart Helpful? ()

"You and I are the siblings to Mary, and Mary's brother who is our uncle has children, and they become our first cousins."

You're making this much more difficult than it actually is! Consanguinity, pertains to the descendants of a common ancestor - a blood line.

The statement you made (above) is confusing, at best. If "You and I are the siblings to Mary," then, all three of 'us' are siblings! But, getting past that, Mary and her brother are your aunt and uncle, so, all of their children would be your cousins. (Remember, we're only talking about blood relatives, not relatives who have married into the family, etc.)

True, it's not easy to remember all of the nuances that come into play here, that's why the charts have been developed, to help make it easier to calculate relationships of descendants of common ancestors. If the charts are too confusing, let your genealogical software calculate the relationships for you. You enter the names of the descendants of the common ancestor, and the computer software does the calculations.

Let's not devise scenarios that go outside of what genealogical parameters easily explain. And please, state that the question is actually a puzzle, when it is.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy