Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Getting Aunt’s Birth Year Corrected

I have a great aunt who is a sister of my paternal grandmother. I discovered over a year ago that her birth year is 1909 instead of 1910. Therefore, that would make her currently age 98 rather than 97. I determined this from studying the 1910 census in which she was listed as” 5 months old.” The census was recorded on May 9, 1910. Therefore, that would give her a birth year of December 1909 instead of December 1910.

Today I visited my aunt and showed her the census. During our previous conversations, she regularly mentioned that her birth year was probably not correct, so this news was not surprising to her. Her brother Jack, who was born after her, used a birth month/year of June 1911. This made them six months apart based on the birth month/year she was using. Her birth had been recorded in the family Bible by her mother, but it was destroyed by a house fire. Her mother died when my aunt was around 11 and apparently no one else remembered the exact year of her birth. I think that the age she gave on her marriage license in 1932 was used for her birth year when she applied for social security in the 1960s. I do not have a copy of the marriage license.

We did not discuss getting this corrected on her legal records, but I was wondering if anyone on this list knew what would have to be done to get this birth year corrected. I'm not sure what benefits a 100 year old person receives, however, if she lives another 1.5 years, she will reach that mark and it would be great for her to receive recognition.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy