Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: find history JOSHUA COMPTON, Davidson Co, TN

Thank you for you response, Joyce!

We would enjoy finding records of JOSHUA COMPTON's SERVICE AS MAGISTRATE IN NASHVILLE ... PICTURES OF HIS FARM, AS WELL AS OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS' FARMS, RECEIVED FROM HIS FATHER, HENRY W. COMPTON ... PICTURES OF JOSHUA AND HIS SIBLINGS AND FAMILY .. PICTURES IN YEAR BOOKS OF ANY OF HENRY'S MIXED RACE FAMILY. THEIR FAMILY ACCOMPLISHMENTS WERE MANY!

We recently returned from Nashville, TN where we attended the 1st Compton Family Reunion for our families .. I met relatives from your Blackman family .. we were sorry that you were not able to attend. Hope to meet you at a future reunion. Our branch of the family is:
gen 1 ) William & Charity Leiper Compton (KY, VA),

gen 2 ) William & Sussanah Mullen Compton (VA)

gen 3 ) William Scott & Angelina Gunn Ward Compton (2nd child of WIlliam and Susannah Compton and brother to your Henry William Compton [father of Joshua, Wm Henry, Maria] ... WIlliam Scott moved from Nashville to Alabama and settled in TX),

gen 4 ) Willis Winston and Caledonia Elizabeth Thomasson Compton, (TX),
gen 5 ) James Edwin & Sarah Ruth Eddins Compton (TX),
gen 6 ) Eugene Doyle & Ruby Orveta Compton (TX)
gen 7 ) Edra Ruth Compton Hubbard Green (TX), I have
gen 8 ) my 2 chldren , Kristen Renae Hubbard Holloway and Matthew Rowland Hubbard
gen 9 ) and my 5 grandchildren ... gen 6 - 9 are all in MO now.

I was so pleased to receive some information on JOSHUA COMPTON, son of Henry Washington Compton of Nashville. Mary Ann Sullivan (descendent of Henry W. Compton) has tried to contact descendents of Joshua with no success, so there were no members of that branch of the family tree at the reunion.

Below is information Mary Ann gave to us ... perhaps someone reading this will be able to connect us with family members. They also appear in census records with Henry W. Compton and then with their own families.
from death records:

b. 1855 - race C: Joshua Compton
b. 12 MAY 1855, (TN) age 68 years. Married, Farmer. Race W: Son of Henry Wm. Compton (TN) and Harriet Straelett (TN). Informant: (wife) Mrs Ella Nora Scruggs Compton, 6 1/2 miles Hillsboro Road, Nash, TN. Stomach cancer.

b. 1859 - race C: William Henry Compton
b. 21 SEPT 1859, Davidson, TN - d. 21 May 1948, Nashville, age 88 yrs 8 mos, widowed. Greenwood Cemetery, Nashville, TN. Son of Henry Wm Compton (VA) and Annie Allen (VA), Farmer, informant: Dernice COmpton. Residence 1315 Grundy St, Nashville. pneumonia, failing heart

b. 1864 - race C: Maria Lee Noel Edmondson
b. 31 DEC 1864, Nashville, TN.d. 22 Oct, 1943, Nashville, TN, age 78 yrs 9 mos, 21 days. Widowed (wife of Ransom Edmondsom) occupation: at home. Daughter of Henry W. Compton (Nash, TN) and Annie Allen (VA). Informant William Compton, 1403 Grundy St., Nashville. Diabites, hypertension

b. 1867 - race C: Jennie V. Compton, wife of William Compton b. 1867 TN - d. 13 Nov 1936, died age 69, Nashville, married. Greenwood Cemetery, Nashville, TN. Daughter of Ned Scruggs (TN) and Martha Brown (VA). Housekeeper, Residence 1403 Grundy, Nashville. Davidson, file No 2881, 26640. informant: Wm Compton. breast cancer

b. 1882 - race C: Henry W. Compton
b. 12 DEC 1882, Nashville, TN - d 8 Nov 1946, age 63 yrs 11 mos 6 days, Nashville, Hillsboro Road, single. Greenwood Cemetery, Nashville, TN. Son of Joshua Compton (Nash,TN) and Ella Nora Scruggs Compton (Nash,TN), born Nash, TN. Building Contractor. Informant: Trimble Compton, Tyne Blvd. myocarditio, artirio sclerosis.

Mary Ann also gave us a copy of TN Historical Quarterly Vol XXIV Spring 1965 Number 1: Hillsboro Pike and Something Personal by Walter Stokes, Jr. p. 79 .. this tells a lot of history of the pioneer family and their large area of land.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy