Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Unrepsonsive Relatives
In Response To: Re: Unrepsonsive Relatives ()

My mother was the youngest child in her family and died at a young age. Her eldest brother died the next year. I had not known him growing up, but spent a couple of weeks at his home after moving away after college. There I saw pictures I'd never before seen or heard of: my mother as a young girl, as well as pictures of my father's sister as a teenager. [My parents grew up in the same small community.]

I did not start genealogy research until after my uncle's death. When my uncle died, two brothers were still living and in the area. I felt since they were my "elders," it was not "my place" to ask for those pictures, never occurred to me to get copies. His widow was his 3rd wife, never knew the people in the pictures and his only child was 11.

Unknown to me, those pictures went into storage in their basement. By the time I finally got around to asking about them, I was told they got wet, and had been tossed out. What a treasure was lost.

Another lost treasure: When my (step) Grandmother died, we discovered pictures in the proverbial "trunk," probably my grandfather's. My father and his sister had never seen them before. Some were of large groups, obviously taken at some type of conference, from the dress, around the turn of the century. With research and hindsight, I am fairly certain that my great-grandfather (a Presiding elder in AME church) was in those pictures. He died in 1905 and we have no pictures of him.

My father and his wife subsequently moved into that house. After I started serious research (about 25 years later...) I never remembered to ask about that trunk, and after my father died, it was put in an outside storage building. By the time I thought of it, the building was dilapidated (suspected to be snake-ridden) and I haven't seen it since. One day..... I will have the nerve to enter that building.

So, keep asking. That's what we do!!

toot

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy