Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

A/A Marriage Records, Fulton & Forsyth Co., GA

Hi to all!

There are two books that will be useful to anyone researching the African-American marriages that occurred in both Fulton Co. and Forsyth Co., GA from 1866 to the early 1900's. I found them in the reference section of the genealogy department of the library.

The first book is "Fulton County, Georgia Marriage Records 1866-1902 ("Colored" Books A-G)" by Ted O. Brooke. I go to the library at least twice a week and am willing to look-up any needed info.

The second book is "Forsyth County, Georgia Marriage Records
1833-1933", also by Ted O. Brooke. This book was copyrighted in 1999. In this particular book, the African-American marriages are indicated by (c).

Some of the surnames that have numerous entries in the Forsyth Co. book are ALLEN, BAILEY, BROWN, BURRESS, CLEMENT,DAVIS, HARRELL, NUCKOLLS (Nichols?), and STRICKLAND. I actually hand-wrote this information yesterday and have to go back to the library to finish the surnames from Strickland to the end! :-)

Also, there was a book there about the history of Forsyth Co., GA.
This particular book contains the 1900 black census of Forsyth Co.! It also contains the 1860-1880 mortality censuses. The 1860 census lists only the first name of the slave and what they died of. However, the 1870 and 1880 mortality censuses lists the full names, age, sex, race, marital status, birth places of the deceased and of his/her parents, the month of death, and the cause!

I photocopied this info and will be glad to do look-ups for anyone who is interested.

Blessings to all!

Anita
e-mail: AnitaSnow913@hotmail.com

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy