Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Donating Your School Memories

I just donated class reunion pictures and my old ring to the Public School Archives in my city. I did so reluctantly with the ring, but after I thought about it, I haven't worn it in 30 years. It needed to be seen by other's for our Black History. I asked what year books they might need from my school. The archives supervisor said she wanted only the ORIGINAL books for certain School years. Now that's not going to always happen unless someone is deceased and a member of the family is thoughtful enough to donate. On hand were xerox copies of yearbooks for a school my parents attended ranging from 1936-1945. I am so grateful those were there because I was able to see my parents as teenagers. I don't understand why the archives would not accept copies. So I copied a year book for a year they didn't have and will contact the Missouri historical Society and see if they want it. Yearbooks are 1 of a kind books. Everyone who does genealogy should order school records of their deceased and find a Library or Historical museum to donate items from these member's past so they won't be lost. After all we are making new history as we speak. One thing I will strongly suggest, copy all books and pictures for your personal files and scan them to a CD. Never give away anything that you don't have copies of. "There's gold in them there books".

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy