Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Donating Your School Memories

Today I went to our public school archives and was really disappointed to see so little about black people memories, but a lot of photo's and info about the white records for the year in question I am researching. I was looking for photo's of my father and his siblings in any school albums they might have had. I was successful in finding pictures of my father and mother. Also saw pictures of neighbors who attended the same black school in different years. I realize there was and still is a lot of segregation in school but I plan on doing my part to save our black history. I have a lot of old pictures, clippings, a photo album that just sits in a book case and has never been looked at by family or friends. My mother has photo albums and although we beg her to pull them out, she's not ready to let us view those memories. I've decided to donate a lot of my school stuff to the Public School Archives. And I am going to let them copy my year book albums. Hopefully when someone comes looking for the past they may sit there and laugh about a silly looking hairdo that is now back in style, or the way guys dressed 'in the day'. I am suggesting to all of you who don't want some of those memories to get lost to donate or copy whatever you have, ex. group pictures, report cards, pictures at school sports events and don't forget to name the people on the pictures. We can leave our own 'foot prints in the dirt' without waiting for the next census to come out. My eyes will probably be too weak to read them by then.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy