Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

One For The Ages
In Response To: I Don't Know ()

I will recap my previous posts in the Discuss forum. My maternal grandmother and grandfather lived in Millen, Jenkins County, Georgia. They owned a house and a farm there. As executrix of my mother's estate, I tried to get information about these properties. I wrote to the Jenkins County Courthouse several times, attaching copies of my mother's will and the New York court's official documents appointing me as executrix.

I got absolutely no response to these inquiries. The fact that the letters were never returned says to me that they were received by the court in Millen.

I wrote again in January, 2007. I did not attach any of the documents I had previously submitted. I requested copies of the public records they had on the farm property. So my letter stated. I even gave the Map number and Parcel number from their records.

In ONE sentence, I identified myself as the executrix of my mother's estate and stated that as the reason for my request. I offered to pay any associated costs.

I received MY ORIGINAL letter back, with a typewritten note on the bottom stating that "The Jenkins County Probate Court does not have an estate open for the Estate of Maggie Spivey. Furthermore, my office has never received a copy of her will or death certificate." This note was signed by a Jenkins County Probate Judge.

Lordy, lordy, lordy. Now, I have no way of knowing if any record of my inquiry exists in that office since I got my original letter back. Moreover, I never indicated that my mother's estate was in probate in Georgia. I simply requested copies of public record information relating to the farm property. I have no idea how I ended up getting a response from the Probate Court when my inquiry dealt with property records.

Well, I put on my genealogist's cap, and proceeded to look for an alternative address. Voila! I found an address in Marietta, Georgia [far from the purview of folks in Millen] for the land records office. I am firing a missive off to that office.

Mea culpa. I should have done this a few years ago, instead of continuing to write to the Jenkins County Courthouse.

My first instinct is to include a copy of the letter I sent to the Jenkins County Courthouse, complete with the [tacky] response. Then, the other half of my brain said don't. I am still in debate with myself on this issue.

More to come. Spivey

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy